About MIFARE® DESFire® EV1 256B
MIFARE DESFire EV1 256B (MF3ICD(H)Q1), is the future proof entry level product of the well-established MIFARE DESFire family and is addressing applications with low memory but high security and data integrity needs.
The MIFARE DESFire EV1 256B offers the same security and file creation features as the higher memory family members (Ref. 1), but the number of applications and related files on this product is limited due to its small memory plot.
This addresses the needs of account based systems and environments requiring only a limited set of applications.
These applications include but are not limited to access management, public transport ticketing, loyalty schemes, and closed-loop payment.
It is fully compatible to all other members of the MIFARE DESFire EV1 family, offering the same fast and highly secure data transmission, and is fully interoperable with existing MIFARE DESFire infrastructure.
All MIFARE DESFire products are based on open global standards for both air interface and implemented cryptographic methods. It is compliant to all 4 levels of ISO/IEC 14443A and uses optional ISO/IEC 7816-4 commands, features an on-chip backup management system and mutual three-pass authentication as well as encrypted communication.
The size of each file is defined at the moment of its creation, provides an automatic anti-tear mechanism for all file types, guaranteeing transaction-oriented data integrity. Data transfer rates from up to 848 Kbit/s can be achieved, allowing for fast data transmission.
The main characteristics of the MIFARE DESFire family are denoted by the name “DESFire”: “DES” indicates the high level of security using a hardware crypto coprocessor for either 3DES or AES-based data processing. “Fire” indicates its outstanding position as a fast, innovative, and highly reliable IC ideally suited to enable a wide variety of different applications.
RF interface: ISO/IEC 14443 Type A
- Contactless transmission of data and powered by the RF-field (no battery needed)
- Operating frequency: 13.56 MHz
- Operating distance: up to 100 mm (depending on power provided by the PCD and antenna geometry)
- Fast data transfer: 106 kbit/s, 212 kbit/s, 424 kbit/s, 848 kbit/s
- High data integrity: 16/32 bit CRC, parity, bit coding, bit counting
- True deterministic anti-collision
- 7 bytes unique identifier (cascade level 2 according to ISO/IEC 14443-3 and option for random ID)
- Uses ISO/IEC 14443-4 protocol
ISO/IEC 7816 compatibility
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-3 APDU message structure
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘A4’ for SELECT FILE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘B0’ for READ BINARY
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘D6’ for UPDATE BINARY
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘B2’ for READ RECORDS
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘E2’ for APPEND RECORD
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘84’ for GET CHALLENGE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘88’ for INTERNAL AUTHENTICATE
- Supports ISO/IEC 7816-4 INS code ‘82’ for EXTERNAL AUTHENTICATE
- 256 bytes application memory
- Data retention of 10 years
- Write endurance typical 500 000 cycles
- Flexible file system
- Number of applications and files per application depending on available memory
- File types supported: standard data file, back up data file, value file, linear record file, and cyclic record file
- File size is determined during creation
- Based on the same Common Criteria EAL4+ certified MIFARE DESFire EV1 platform
- Unique 7 bytes serial number for each device
- Optional “RANDOM” ID for enhance security and privacy
- Mutual three-pass authentication
- Mutual authentication according to ISO/IEC 7816-4
- 1 card leader key and up to 14 keys per application
- Hardware DES using 56/112/168 bit keys featuring key version, data authenticity by 8 byte CMAC
- Hardware AES using 128-bit keys featuring key version, data authenticity by 8 byte CMAC
- Data encryption on RF-channel
- Authentication on application level
- Hardware exception sensors
- Self-securing file system
- Backward compatibility to MF3ICD40: 4 byte MAC, CRC 16
- Transaction-oriented automatic anti-tear mechanism
- Configurable ATS information for card personalization
- Backward compatibility mode to MF3ICD40
- Optional high input capacitance (70 pF) for small form factor design (MF3ICDHQ1)
- Public transport ticketing: Account based or Single Journey ticketing
- High secure access management
- Event ticketing
- Gift cards
- Smart Visitor Badges (SVB)